Living Language: Making Words Work For You
A writing/grammar/comprehension program for students who want to communicate at the highest level
Course now open for registration - numbers strictly limited
This 10-week program, starting Term 1, 2018, is designed to fit the individual needs of students who know what they need to say but can’t quite find the words. It’s for students who want to read and extract meaning from a text, and communicate their findings at the highest level. It’s for students who care about their communication skills enough to seek the help they need to excel.
It won’t be easy. There’ll be challenges, homework, and feedback that will demand not only your attention to detail, but also your full focus in raising the standard of your writing. It will take practice and perseverance. You must want to be the best you can be.
You will need to reflect on your writing and identify how you can improve—and you will improve, because we’ll be with you every step of the way. We encourage you to take risks with your writing, taking your work to a whole new level.
We challenge you to be the judge of your success. By the end of the ten weeks you will be able to:
- Read selected passages and answer comprehension questions tailored to your ability
- Communicate your ideas clearly and concisely across a range of texts
- Confidently identify parts of speech
- Understand and write complex sentences using a variety of sentence structures
- Construct written texts with confidence and flair
During Term 1, 2018, you will learn the joys of research; skimming, close reading, locating and verifying evidence, checking facts summarising, note-taking, citing and creating bibliographies, and more..
The program includes:
- 10 x 45 minute weekly Skype sessions
- Base assessment to help us tailor work for individual students
- Weekly PDFs on grammar, comprehension and writing
- Weekly homework and feedback
Spaces are strictly limited, so book now! The program runs during Term 4 of the 2017 school year.
Mel and Sam are a dynamic mother-daughter duo, with experience in writing and theatre. In another life, Mel is a Senior English teacher and author of adult and childrens' novels. Sam studied Theatre at the Queensland Academy for Creative Industries and has won Queensland Theatre's Young Playwrights Award, along with DUX, CIVA and Pathmaker Awards at her school. Together, they run Writing Excellence Programs for Young Scholars at Writer on the Road.